Top 5 SNL Digital Shorts
I love the SNL Digital Shorts. The Lonely Island, which consists of Akiva Schaffer, Jorma Taccone, and Andy Samberg are largely responsible for these pre-recorded and edited SNL segments. Anyway, the following is a list of my five favorite Shorts (you can see a full list here):
5. Iran So Far – Andy Samberg composes a Valentine to Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Accompanied by Adam Levine of Maroon 5, Samberg croons clever rhymes to Ahmadinejad, who is portrayed well by Fred Armisen. There are just some fantastic lines (“You can deny the Holocaust all you want; but you can’t deny there’s something between us”) and the Jake Gyllenhaal cameo is nice. The fact that the song is based on Aphex Twin’s Avril 14th is most quite surreal.
4. People Getting Punched Right Before Eating – Really, the entire description is right there in the segment name. It’s Samberg’s timing and the over-the-top music that make this so great. Plus, the non-sequitur-tastic ending is great in itself. The timing and music of this short are almost exactly the same as Andy Popping into Frame, but better.
3. Lazy Sunday – Oh, man, the top three are all real close, but at #3 is the Digital Short that set the gold standard. Part Beastie Boys and part mc chris, Samberg and Chris Parnell rap about going to see The Chronicles of Narnia. Some great lines are here, including the classic “Mr.Pibb and Red Vines equals crazy delicious!” and one of my faves: “You can call us Aaron Burr by the way we’re dropping Hamiltons”. It also makes me want cupcakes.
2. Jizz in My Pants – This short probably has the slickest production of any yet. Featuring the first single off of The Lonely Island’s first album, this video plays it straight at first, looking and sounding like some British dance hit. The way Samberg and Taccone are dressed, their faux-serious poses and British accents, overly dramatic video direction, and a choice cameo by Justin Timberlake come together (ha! get it?) to make this the best short since my #1 choice of…
1. Extreme Challenge – From the no-dialogue vein of People Getting Punched…, Extreme Challenge matches Andy Samberg and Kristen Wiig in a series of increasingly absurd challenges. I don’t feel like a description can do this justice, so just watch it!
Arbitrary song of the day: The Kinks – This Time Tomorrow